Monday, September 17, 2012

What's the craic?

Sent:
Mon 9/17/12   4:45 AM

Hey there,

 What's the craic? That is a very common phrase here. I am sure you have figured out what it means but for those who are slower... It means what's going on. Well another week has gone by. And it was a good one at that. I think there are 3 stories worth sharing with you. First is about and investigator named Corinna. She is a sweet 17 year old Philippino  girl. Her dad is a less active but her aunt in Hawaii is very active and when she went over there to visit her, she liked how being members made them happy. So she is meeting with us. We had to do splits and it was just me and Sister Harris teaching her and it went so well. She really opened up to us and how she really feels the gospel can help her become closer to God and how she has a strong desire to follow God. We talked alot about the comfort she can feel from the Book of Mormon and praying. She is reading and praying and she is working toward a baptism in October. Awesome!!! Next story is about food. Every week we go to the troy family and they feed us sooooooo much yummy food that I can not even finish it all. But this week right after them we had a dinner appointment. I was so full going to the next home, the Pescidaro's. But they made so much food also and I just had to drink alot of water and juice to make it go down. It was so hard to do. At both appointments the Elders were with us and one Elder, Elder Holms was willing to take some of my food. He is a skinny guy but can sure force down the food. I was so thankful for that. Last story is about a girl we met with on Saturday. Her name is Dami and she heard about the church through her friend who just joined. She saw it made her friend really happy and her friend told her to meet with the missionaries. It was a powerful lesson talking with her. My comps and I really flowed with talking and were able to be inspired in how to help her with her concerns. She has been through alot in her short 17 years but she keeps trying to turn to God. She agreed to read the Book of Mormon. We hope to meet again soon but she has college and work. She is a wonderful girl and I could really see how the gospel could help her life. Missionary life is hard, emotionally, spiritually, physically, and mentally. Relying on the Spirit and constantly checking myself to make sure I am doing all that I can to be worthy of it is huge. Teaching people that don't want to change and trying to teach those that bail on you all the time is stressful. And being with two people 24/7 is a struggle but blessing as well. But there are two things that keep me here and keep me positive about the work. It is the peaceful feeling I feel as I pray at night letting me know that God is pleased with my efforts and lets me know that I am where I am suppose to be. The other thing is people like Sean, Corinna and Dami. Seeing the change the gospel brings to people. It feels like the ratio of struggle to success is 85 to 15. But that 15 is the greatest and the struggle only builds character if we let it. :) Love you all and hope you have another good week. 
Love,
Sister Ashlee Nicoll
p.s. I met a friend of Josh Drew's. I forgot her name, something like Mackenzie? But she was here in Ireland for a nanny job and she came to YSA on thursday and I found out she was from Queen Creek and that she was in Beauty and the Beast with Josh. Crazy!! Also on Sunday there was a couple here on their honeymoon from AZ and then another couple from phoenix here on vacation. Love running into good ol' Az people!   

Daddy,
As for money each month they put in I think 160 euros. That is for groceries and anything that will help toward fulfilling my mission. In our flat there are 2 rooms and one bathroom. We all sleep in one room. I am on a mattress on the floor. Not too shabby sleeping though. All our stuff is in the other room. It is not super tidy like you would like it but it stays fairly clean and we clean it up each monday :) I have been doing the dishes often just so you know. It is getting a bit colder but I still don't know what cold really is so I will have to see when the time comes, whether my clothes will hold out or not.
Love,
Sister Nicoll

No comments:

Post a Comment